SEA CLIFF BEAUTIFICATION COMMITTEE HOLDS THIRD ANNUAL SPRING FLING FUNDRAISER
April 24, 2017 -- Residents once again turned out for the Sea Cliff Beautification Committee's third annual "Spring Fling" this past Thursday evening at the Metropolitan Bistro. With Bill Long, owner of the restaurant, offering a delicious assortment of complimentary hors d'oeuvres, fling goers schmoozed and learned about the many services the Beautification Committee volunteers provide in preserving and enhancing the Village's natural beauty and charm.
The Sea Cliff Beautification Committee is a private not-for-profit volunteer organization dedicated to designing, planting and maintaing the parks and public spaces within the village. The group
- plants thousands of spring blooming bulbs each fall
- plants flowering annuals and prennials in all the parks and planters around town, as well as in the planters in front of village hall and both the children's and adult libraries.
- hosts weekly pruning sessions
- recruits chaperones to overss individual parks
- purchases the baskets of lfowers which hang on the light poles in the business district all summer and fall as well as the live wreaths and lights and make the bows that adorn business district during the holidays
- routinely adds trees and shrubs to the parks
- annually donates gardening reference books t teh adult and children's libraries.
- makes recommendations to the Village Public Works Department for the maintenance of the parks
- creates mulched beds around shrubs to give nutrients back to plantings
- plans and hosts the "Secret Garden Tour"
- hosts Arbor Day with the second grade class of Sea Cliff Elementary School
- holds an annual plant sale the first weekend Saturday in May at St. Lukes. This year it will be on May 6.
The Beautification Committee's meetings are usually held on the third Thursday of the month in the basement of St. Luke's Episcopal Church.
Click here for the Sea Cliff Beautification Facebook page.