- Sunoco/Bank: As stated in the previous update, the Bank has purchased the Sunoco property. This has been confirmed by the Town of Oyster Bay. The Bank has communicated to the Civics that their request for a parking variance will now be diminished to asking for a variance for no more than 2 or 3 spots as their needs now that they have built an office next to JW's have lessened. The Civics have been invited to meet with the Bank representatives later this month, to discuss the plans to build. We have also been informed by the Bank that they expect to build within a few months. The Civics will be focusing on the property clean up and the participation on the building design. As a reminder the discussions with Bank executives have been about a two floor office building, no underground and no branch, as the branch across the street will remain open.
- Halms Property - GH Road: As you know the owner and broker were working with the Civics to sell the 5.3 acres of land to an Assisted Living business (Civics' choice), or a developer interested in building a smaller scale Assisted Living along with 21 Townhouses for folks 55 and over (another Civics' choice.) During the last 8 weeks or so the Gold Coast Library approached the Town of Oyster Bay to purchase the property by issuing a bond and allowing the library to use 2 +/- acres, allowing for another 1.5 acres to become parking for the community center fields and possibly to use the remainder as an expansion of the fields themselves. During the past two meetings held by the Civics with the TOB (last one two weeks ago attended by several Civic representatives), the Town's initial interest on purchasing this property diminished and we are awaiting for a final decision; we'll let everyone know of the final course of action on this property. The Civics will contionue to be actively involved on this decision.
- Beautification of the center of GH: Long outstanding project: Finally coming to fruition - we should see shovel in the ground shortly. The plans hold a two phase project. Starts in front of the stores from Jack Shack down to the drug store by fixing the front walks, new pavers will be installed in front of all stores - great job by the Town officials in working with the three or four owners of the properties to ensure they carry some of the costs - new antique lighting with plant hangers will be installed, this will require some of the existing trees to be replaced by new trees which will be donated by the Fischetti's - Thank you. The second phase, which will be contiguous to the first, will embrace the fixing of all sidewalks that need enhancing starting from the railroad tracks along GH Road west to the four corners, and then South to just before Bernard's. Depending on the funding available the Civics are discussing additional enhancements with TOB officials. We than the Town for finally getting this beautification project going, we also thank Sergio Tedesco, local architect, for doing pro bono work and helping the community with the design of the project. We also remind everyone that the local Business Association worked on getting this project on the radar of the Town for quite some time.
- GH Railroad Station: The final touches of the external improvements made to the station house last year are promised by the LIRR to be made during the Fall. The Civics will be following up to ensure completion.
- NY American Water Co.: The local Councilmen who the Civics met with before the summer have met with the Nassau County DA's office to discuss this matter. The Civics heard from the DA's office and we are in the process of waiting for an update.
- Ongoing meetings with Town of Oyster Bay Officials: The Civics have established an ongoing set of meetings with Town officials - meetings take place about every 6 weeks. The objective of these meetings is to go over a list of pending and important developments in the community. We thank the Town for facilitating these meetings as we plan to continue to represent the community in maintaining, and improving, quality of life within the Glen Head/ Glenwood Landing halmet.
Keep enjoying this great weather!!