· Sunoco/Bank: As stated during our last update the Bank has signed a contract and purchased the Sunoco property. Bank management has contacted the Civics to arrange a meeting. The meeting is scheduled for late August and we expect to have news about finalization of plans for the property to advance shortly.
· Halms Property – GH Road: As you know the plans the Civics were working with the owner and broker to sell the property with the least amount of traffic and the least number of children attending the school have changed as the Gold Coast GH Library has approached the Town to purchase the property for future Library consideration. The Town has shown interest in proceeding with this idea as the 5.3 acres could then be also used for parking for parents and children attending games at the Community Center fields – a much needed solution for weekend games when the area is jammed with cars parked across the street from the fields. The Civics are actively participating on these discussions and have added a proposal to this idea, if it should go forward, to increase the field space (the Library may need a couple of acres, parking could be 1 ½ acres and the remainder could become an expansion to the existing fields.) This is the current situation concerning this property. We will keep everyone posted.
· NY American Water Co.: Two months ago the Civics escalated their frustrations to two local Assemblymen (Mike Montesano and Edward Ra) with whom we met. They have taken our frustrations about the outrageous bills received from the company to the Nassau County DA’s office. The Civics are now in contact with the Assemblymen’s offices and the DA’s contact (an ADA assigned to the matter), and are looking forward to an update. As of this writing we are awaiting for updates and will release them as soon as we receive them.
· Beautification of the center of GH: This long outstanding plan is about to become a reality. The Town has finalized their permit requirements – required to be applied to Nassau County as much of the affected area is NC roads – and we expect the start of the project within the next two weeks. Again, the enhancement of the area will include the improvement of sidewalks along the stores south of GH Road and Glen Cove Ave. up to Bernard’s – and primarily along the West side of the stores, as well as the installation of antique lighting along the east and west side of the business area. The second phase of the project, scheduled to begin as soon as the first phase is on the way, is to cover the same process starting at the GH railroad tracks along GH Road up to the 4 corners – again improvement of sidewalks and installation of antique lighting. Please note that choices of type of antique lighting and other details are completed as are the plans for the projects. You should see this project on the way within the next two weeks.
· Finalization of improvements to the GH Railroad station house: The Civics last year convinced the LIRR to address the much needed improvement of the station house. While the LIRR made significant residing and other improvements, the project was not quite completed. The Civics are following up with the LIRR to complete the job, they have scheduled the completion for the Fall of this year. We will continue to monitor to completion.
Enjoy the Summer and Regards,